If you're looking to sign up with Cloudways and are confused between Cloudways Premium vs. Standard plan, you've come to the right place.
In this post, I will provide you with good clarity on how Cloudways DigitalOcean's Premium Droplets differ from the standard series machines. I will explain the differences in processors, storage, performance, setup, and pricing.
- After 90 days of testing, we found both Cloudways Premium and Standard offer similar performance in TTFB and load handling.
- Due to its powerful processor and NVMe storage, the Cloudways Premium offers a faster backend performance when compared to the standard.
- If you're just getting started, then Cloudways standard is cost-efficient. If you have a resource-hungry site, then choose Cloudways Premium droplets.
- Whatever plan you choose, don't forget to use our Cloudways coupon “BIO25” to get $25 free credits added to your new Cloudways account.
Cloudways Premium Vs. Standard
Cloudways Premium Vs. Standard: Performance
To check the performance of Premium and Standard Cloudways Digital Ocean plans, I added a demo site with the same setup to each of the plans.
Based on 90 days of performance data (April 6th – July 6th, 2022), I found that Cloudways standard and premium have similar performance scores. The standard site recorded a TTFB of 297ms, and the premium droplet site recorded 301ms.
One should also note the Cloudways standard site has a 99.98% uptime record while the Cloudways premium site has 99.97% with more outages.
Next, I did a load test, and there was no surprise as both the sites performed in a very similar way. The average response time of standard and premium droplet sites are 306ms and 305ms, respectively.
Recommendation: If you're looking to use a premium droplet to improve your TTFB and load handling, it will be the wrong choice. One can stick with a standard droplet and enjoy a similar fast performance.
Cloudways Premium Vs. Standard: Processors & Memory
A Computer's processor determines how fast the machine interprets instructions. Cloudways DigitalOcean Premium uses Robust Intel Xeon Second Generation Scalable Processors with built-in AI acceleration and Intel mesh architecture.
Cloudways DigitalOcean Premium has more powerful processors than the Standard series.
These processors' clocks are set at a base frequency of 2.50 GHz and a max turbo frequency of 3.90 GHz. This helps Cloudways Premium to offer a significant performance boost over the Standard series.
Cloudways Premium has accelerated memory and NVMe Storage, while the Standard series uses SSD storage. It's important to understand that NVMe offers a faster read/write speed than traditional SATA SSD drives. Further, it has enhanced memory performance with a frequency of 2933 GHz.
Recommendation: Since Cloudways premium comes with a powerful processor and NVMe storage, the sites hosted on them will get improvements on server-side cache workloads, database, and improved disk performance.
In simple terms, the WordPress site will see improvements in backend performance. If you have a resource-hungry site, Cloudways DO Premium droplets will be a perfect fit.
Cloudways Premium Vs. Standard: Pricing
Now, it's time to look at Cloudways Premium and Standard pricing. Cloudways Premium is available in five different plans. Please note I have an exclusive partnership that offers $25 free hosting credits only through our Cloudways Coupon Code 2023.
The lowest tier plan starts at $12 per month. Customers can choose the highest tier plan of $160 per month for maximum resources. New Customers can apply the Cloudways Coupon code to get $25 free credits. Here are the details of the Cloudways Premium plans:
- DO1GB: 1 GB RAM, 1 Core Processor, 25 GB Storage, $12 per month
- DO2GB: 2 GB RAM, 1 Core Processor, 50 GB Storage, $26 per month
- DO4GB: 4 GB RAM, 2 Core Processor, 80 GB Storage, $50 per month
- DO8GB: 8 GB RAM, 4 Core Processor, 160 GB Storage, $96 per month
- DO16GB: 16 GB RAM, 8 Core Processor, 320 GB Storage, $160 per month
DO4GB happens to be the most popular plan amongst the five Cloudways Premium plans.
Cloudways Standard offers customers as many as eleven different plans to choose from.
The lowest tier starts at $10 per month. Here are the plan details:
- DO1GB: 1 GB RAM, 1 Core Processor, 25 GB Storage, $10 per month
- DO2GB: 2 GB RAM, 1 Core Processor, 50 GB Storage, $22 per month
- DO4GB: 4 GB RAM, 2 Core Processor, 80 GB Storage, $42 per month
- DO8GB: 8 GB RAM, 4 Core Processor, 160 GB Storage, $80 per month
- DO16GB: 16 GB RAM, 6 Core Processor, 320 GB Storage, $135 per month
As you can see, Cloudways Standard plans are slightly cheaper than Cloudways Premium. We also covered detailed Cloudways Pricing here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Cloudways Premium?
Cloudways Premium or Cloudways DigitalOcean Premium Droplets offer better and faster performance than Cloudways Standard. It is achieved through Robust Intel Xeon Processors (built-in AI acceleration), Accelerated Memory, and NVMe Storage.
Can I upgrade from a Standard Server to a Premium Droplet?
You can upgrade from a Standard Server to a Premium Droplet through the vertical scaling feature. Here are the steps you need to follow to do it:
- Login to your Cloudways account and open Servers from the top menu bar
- Next up, choose the desired server that you want to scale up
- After that, select Vertical Scaling from under Server Management
- Next, get to the server size to select a server size and click on “Scale Now.”
What are the differences between Cloudways Premium and Cloudways Standard?
Cloudways Premium offers a comparatively more powerful performance than Cloudways Standard through a faster processor and NVMe Storage combined with enhanced memory.
Cloudways Standard vs Premium – Which is Best?
If you have read the post carefully, you should have good clarity on the Cloudways Premium Vs. Standard. This post shows that Cloudways Premium provides better backend performance but similar TTFB performance compared to Standard droplets.
If you're on a budget or just getting started with your online journey, then Cloudways Standard is perfect for you. Alternatively, go with Premium droplets if you're looking only for a better backend performance.